Diaz is said to be after more money for the fight to happen, and for that reason UFC president Dana White is starting to look for alternatives although its gonna prove quite harder than usual because its said that McGregor only wants Diaz.
Conor McGrecor’s rematch with Nate Diaz has been thrown into doubt after it emerged UFC president Dana White stormed out of negotiations with Diaz after failing to agree a deal for a second bout between the two fighters.
Speaking to Colin Cowherd on “The Herd” on Thursday, White revealed the search is now on to find a different opponent for McGregor – despite the Irishman’s desperation to avenge his UFC 196 loss to Diaz.
White said: “We [me and McGregor] went to dinner here in L.A. two weeks ago, had a great meeting. He’s obsessed with this Nate Diaz fight. I don’t know if I can get it done. I’ve been working on it.”
After successful reconciliation talks with McGregor, White then went on to meet Diaz in his hometown of Stockton though the meeting was said not to have gone well.
Celebrity news website TMZ said White stormed out of the lunch when a deal couldn’t be made and the UFC supremo confirmed those claims were true.
“That was true. It wasn’t necessarily as much Nate Diaz as it was the management, but yeah I did (leave the dinner),” White said.
“The problem that drives me crazy is when you have a contract. Everybody sits down at one point and we do a deal, everybody’s happy, you shake hands, you hug and then we move onto the next fight and everybody wants to blow up the deal.
“Obviously, for that last Conor-Nate fight, Nate Diaz made millions and millions of dollars and he stands to make even bigger money.”
White revealed Diaz wants more money for a rematch with McGregor than the amount he agreed to take when the fight was initially arranged for UFC 200.
“What you try to do in a deal like this is you try to be as fair as you can be. Conor has a deal,” White said. “He’s never come back and tried to renegotiate a contract. Ever.
“Nate, we signed a new deal going into that fight, then he signed the contract for UFC 200 and then Conor doesn’t show up for 200 so now Nate’s trying to blow up the deal.
“It’s frustrating but that’s the business that we’re in. This is what we do. Everybody’s not going to be happy all the time so now our job is, Lorenzo (Fertitta) and I, have to sit down and try to figure out how to make this deal work and we’ve been going back and forth trying to make this fight happen but the problem is timing. Now we’re running out of time.”
As reported earlier this week, the UFC are trying to put together the fight for August 20th at UFC 202, but time is running out for a deal to be struck in time.
White added there are plenty of backup options if the fight doesn’t come together.
“This fight’s supposed to be August 20 or something like that – I’ve already got September 10 [UFC 203] done. I got that card made, it’s done and now we’re moving onto the next one,” White added.
“So we’re going to get to a point here where we’re going to run out of time and we’re just not going to be able to make the fight. So Conor’s either going to have to pick a new opponent that he would like to fight or lose that date.”
“I believe people want to see this fight but people want to see Conor McGregor fight Frankie Edgar or Jose Aldo again, too.
“I’m sure they’d want to see him fight Rafael dos Anjos at 155 for that title. So there’s a lot of fights out there for Conor if we can’t get this Nate fight done.”